Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm gonna soak up the sun . . .


Alarm blasts.   Tired arm reaches over and slaps it off.  Okay, time to get up.  It seems my get up and go is gone this morning.  Turn the TV on real quick to check the weather.  Snowing.  Hard.  In Vancouver.  Get out of bed and open the curtain.   Clear.  Clear!  What?  Was expecting white.  Okay, so today we will walk, finally, after a week of at home sick, we will be walking.  Yay!  Now where did my motivation go?

Breakfast.  Teeth.  Hair.  Kids changed.  Stroller.  Shoes.  Mittens – it's cold.  Coats.  Hats.  Check, check, check and check.  Good to go.  And cue sunshine.  SUNSHINE!!!  It's a grey black colour out towards Vancouver, but here, this morning, for our walk, there is sunshine.  More yay!  And we're off.  Because it's Wednesday, we're dodging trash cans and recycling bins.  That's okay though, cause there's sunshine.  And it feels so warm and good after the last week of sick in my house.  We get to the lights and say our “good mornings” to Mrs. Van (short for I can't remember, but that's what she goes by).  Up the hill at a pretty good clip and cue kids complaining that they're too hot.  It's probably about two degrees, but in the sun with all our gear on, we're getting warm.  Off comes my vest layer and the kids start unzipping their coats and taking off their hats and mittens.  Get to school – on time even.  And start making our way home at a more leisurely pace.  I can actually listen for the birds chirping happily away at each other.  It's just so nice to feel that warm sunshine on a day when it was “supposed” to be raining, this is loveliness.

I thought about how incredibly we are put together.   Lungs working to bring in oxygen and put out carbon dioxide.  Heart pumping.  Brain sending signals to legs and feet.  Keep moving.  Bits of exposed skin absorbing vitamin D.  It was like my very own happy pill this morning when I needed it.  And now, here at home, showered and coffee'd, it is grey again out there.  But that's okay, I got my dose for the next day or two and I'll just keep remembering how lovely it was and be looking forward for the next sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment