Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Is there a song in your heart?


I really enjoy music. I love to sing. I may not be America's next idol, but that's okay. If there is a song in there that needs to get out, it will.

I make songs up for my kids all the time. Using tunes from other songs I'll make up silly words. They think I'm pretty silly. I think they're probably right. It's just so much fun sometimes to belt em out. I think I sound better in the shower. There is something about the acoustics in a shower stall, songs just sound better.

My family, love them to pieces, will start singing a song.  They'll sing just the first few words, to see what will happen.  If I'm around, I usually will pick it up and carry it on.  Then they'll laugh, yeah, ha ha, you got me again.  I wonder how I can have so much brain space for songs. 

Being that it's so close to Valentine's it got me thinking about love songs. The funny, the sappy, the emotional. There are some songs that make me cry, laugh, sing really, really loud, or break out in crazy dance with my kids.

Toby Keith's “I wanna talk about me,” hilarious. The Beatles “All you Need is Love,” singing it loud. Faith Hill's “Breathe,” well, can't really go there. ;) Sonny and Cher's “I got You Babe,” from our wedding. We have each other, singing on our way. Maybe me more than he. Music, songs, beats, can lift us up, make us think, bring us together, on some universal level it gets all of us.

So, in Forrest Gump manner, life is like a jukebox, you never know what's going to play next. If there is a song in your heart, sing it loud. Feel like dancing like a crazy person, go for it (maybe do it privately so you don't get arrested).

I figure, I've got my babe, he's got me, we might not always be dancing toe to toe, but at least we're holding hands listening to, and being in, the music that is our life together.


No comments:

Post a Comment