Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My new toy :)


I bought a new toy.  I BOUGHT A NEW TOY!  I have buyers guilt.  It arrived in the mail yesterday and now I need to figure out how it works.  It's an e-reader.  I have been looking for a while for a good deal on one and I found it about three weeks ago.  That's how long it took from the time I ordered it for it to actually arrive.  Three weeks of second guessing myself.  Three weeks of buyers guilt.  Three weeks weeks of, “what have I done?”   It's here now and I have no idea what to do with it.  What was I thinking?

I love reading.  My love of reading led to the love of my life, my husband.  We met over books and fell in love with each other over Harry Potter.  Love can happen in libraries too!   And we both are still, when we have time, very avid readers.   He likes Stephen King and I'm more into Maeve Binchy, but we both really liked Harry.

I will still pick up books.   There is something about a new book.  The smell, the feel.   Being the first person to break the spine (there is a proper way of doing it too!).   Having this new toy does not, in any way, mean that I am going to give up the real thing.  It just means I am going to be more selective about the titles I want hard copies of.

This little toy can hold 10,000 books on it.  With an SD card – 30,000!   If I can read 30,000 books in my lifetime that would be a feat.  Right now, I'm lucky sometimes if I can finish even a magazine article.

So, my new learning curve begins.  I totally get why my dad hates new stuff (technology).  It's so much to learn and try and remember.  I can remember in high school telling the school counselor, “I don't need to take computer classes.  I hate computers.   I will never, ever work with them.  Don't make me have to take this class.”   Thanks, Mrs. Houston, for making me learn about computers.

Anyway, I need to go and read the online manual now and figure out what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment