Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sick kids and rainy days . . .


I can remember so many times being so sick and my mom just kept taking care of me.  Tea, crackers, calamine lotion, tissues, chicken soup, another blanket.  She always took such good care of me.  And when I think of the number of times she had to wash my quilt, because I'd puked on it, I am amazed at the level of her patience and her continued care of me.

It's what we do, us moms.  We take care of little ones.  We wipe up vomit off the floor because short one didn't quite make it to the toilet or bucket.  We scrub unders in the sink cause whatever nasty bug has taken hold of our child has caused incontinence (the joys).  It's gross, but we do it.  We do it because we love our children and we don't want to see them suffering.  It's hard on their little bodies.  They are always so energetic and busy that the lethargy is kind of startling.   These unmoving little people whose energy stores are completely sapped.

As adults, we suck it up and carry on because there is still laundry, and meals, and cleaning, and chauffeuring to be done.  But, for me, it breaks my heart when my kids are sick.  All I can do to try and make them comfortable.  And try and not be in the line of fire when the projectiles start firing, cause being woken up at 12:30am to retching and a wet feeling all over my shoulder and chest is really unpleasant.  And the smell, oh the smell.  Full body shudder.

It's not always so gross.  And I know that the gross is not going to last.  A few days at best.  I stocked up on soft foods (tofu), popsicles, and fluids (my fridge looks like it could be on a pediatrics ward).   Bought some more Advil and Tylenol for their pain.  Now we wait it out.   Hope for the fevers to break and something, anything, to stay down for more than 15 minutes.

Boredom settles in quickly.  We watch TV.  Play with play dough.  Learn new card games on the floor.  Read books.  Puzzles.   Just taking it really easy.

And watching the rain come down. . .

And running around the house with a can of Lysol. I will vanquish you little viruses.

No comments:

Post a Comment