Monday, February 27, 2012

A very long day indeed . . .


Ever have one of those inside-out up-side down kind of days.  A day that's halfway gone before you realize that you put your underwear on inside-out or backwards.  Like, did I dress in the dark this morning? Nope, don't think so.  The expression “the more hurried I go, the more behinder I get.”  Nothing seems to want to go right, including my hair and my attitude.

There is more laundry than I can shake a stick at, dishes that need doing, toilets that desperately need cleaning.  And I have a library shift tonight.  It's being a long day today.   The husband has taken two short ones out to pick the other short one from school.   It's nice out – so they will play at the park for bit too.  An hour, one blessed hour to try and regroup, refocus.  A cup of tea, ahh.

Earlier, when the husband was letting Ava choose which movie to watch tonight (that's what they do when I'm gone, movie night with daddy) he informed them I would be leaving this evening to go to work.  There were two very sad faces.  A few shed tears and the old stand-by, “mommy, why do you have to go to work?”   My heart crumples a bit.  I know they are in good hands, their dad takes very good care of them, who better than myself.  Over the next couple of hours, “mommy, can you just stay home?”  “Please don't go.”  “Stay home with us.”  I am torn.   Mostly because I am incredibly tired today and would so much like to just curl up in my bed and stay there all day.  That can't happen, so, my response to the kids, “mommy said she would work when they called, so I have to go.”  Cue sad faces.  Supper is ready to go, school lunch and clothes for tomorrow, work clothes are laid out (can't put them on until I'm ready to put my shoes on cause I'll likely end up with something or other on me that I really don't want to be taking to work with me).   I feel like I've put in a full day and there are still more hours to go.

So, I am grateful in the knowledge that I have an amazing husband who is here to look after my kids so that I can go to work.  I am grateful that I have kids who are sad that I'm going and knowing that they are going to be excited to see me come home (hopefully they'll be sleeping when I get home, but you get the idea).   I have two jobs that I really enjoy.  Well, actually, I love being a mom to my kids and I enjoy working in the library. And, I am grateful that I have a home to return to that is warm and welcoming.

Tomorrow I'll try and get dressed with lights on.



1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog makes me smile, and although its almost 2 months since I have gone to work I can really relate to this post :)

    ReplyDelete