Monday, February 6, 2012


From January 31, 2012
Ever remember getting fuzzy candies? You know, the ones that someone special dug around in the bottom of their pocket or purse for. Sometimes they were wrapped in tissue to keep them secure from rolling around in said pocket or purse.

My grandma used to keep them in a ziploc baggie in her purse. And if I was lucky enough to get to sit beside her in church, she'd share them with me. That was a big deal in my little kid mind. At the tea following her memorial service there were scotch mints on the table. I'm not sure who was responsible for getting them there, but thanks goes out for the memories evoked.

I took a handful. Actually, one of my cousins dumped half the bowl into my purse pocket. And now, a month later, my kids have found them. They are a bit fuzzy and dusty, but the kids still want to eat them. I dusted one off and put it in my mouth. And then the tears came. Special memories of an incredible woman. Am trying not to be melancholy, but I sure do miss her.

It's surprising sometimes how powerful emotions can come from such a simple thing as a candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment