Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The unending gift of laundry . . .


There is a pile in my house.  It's never ending.  As soon as I think I've conquered it, it rears up again and I stare at it in defeat.  It's laundry.  It just never goes away and most certainly can't take care of itself.

As I stood over the washing machine yesterday, I was praying and petitioning to God over family and friends and my kids and my husband.  Measuring and pouring soap and starting the wash cycle.   Trying to remember all of the gifts in my life.  Sometimes, though, I really don't want the gift of laundry.

The wash cycle finishes and I transfer all of the wet clothes over to the dryer.  It's a mundane task.  It doesn't really take a whole lot of thought.  Clean out the lint collector, set the time on the dryer and start it.  Turn back to the washer and add more soap, start the water running, put the clothes in.  I can most certainly think of other things I would much rather be doing.

Decide I need to get a handle on all of the mending that's been piling up.  Missing buttons, separated seams, hems that need to be taken up, holes in the knees.  Another heaping pile of stuff I'd rather turn a blind eye to.  I got started and before I knew it almost two hours had gone by and I'd hemmed six pairs of pants for my boys, replaced two lost buttons, and repaired a dress and a pair of pants that were torn.  As I surveyed my accomplishments (I was feeling pretty good about the repairs, cause it's pretty great when you can fix something and have it not “look” like it's fixed) I prayed again.

Too many times there are things I wish I didn't have to do.  I wish I could walk away from and not deal with, turn a blind eye to.  They are not necessarily dramatic things, maybe slightly life altering, but usually, it's about an attitude.  Mine.  It needs a run through the washing machine.  Maybe alterations here and there.  Repairs.  Upkeep.   Remembering WHO is in control and that my prayers and petitions are heard and answered in the way they need to be answered.

My bigger picture had me being humbled by something so mundane as laundry.  Service to my family, taking care of their need for clean clothes in good repair.  My attitude went through the wash with the dirty towels.  It didn't come out all fluffy and sweet smelling, but maybe something close.  Refreshed and having a different perspective of what it means to daily be of service to others.

I am learning to be grateful for the gift of laundry. 

1 comment: