Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Butterfly Dance and other Dramatic Endeavours


A little game of remember when coming up, but first, the dance of the butterfly.  Or, my daughter's final dramatic event of grade one.

Ella's class has been studying the life cycle of the butterfly.  It starts out as a larvae, turns into a caterpillar, then the pupae, and then, voila! a butterfly.  As a class, they came up with the idea to do a dramatic dance about the butterfly's life.  They read the books The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Lorax.  It took about 40 minutes to perform and it was really cute.  Ella and one of her classmates were selected to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and were caught up in case of the giggles at one point that the adults chuckling as well.  Part of it might have been the other classmate who was wriggling around on the floor as the caterpillar.  Needless to say, it was fun, imaginative, and childlike.  A great time.

A couple of times it became almost painful to listen to.  And I don't mean this in an unkind way to any of the kids performing.  They worked really hard to do the presentation for us.  Some of them haven't quite got the voice projection yet.  So I literally could not hear them when they were reading their parts of the story.  Also made more difficult by the whine from my other two as to when it was going to be over.

It got me to thinking, this is the remember when part, about all of my dramatic endeavours as a kid.  My parents sat through Christmas and spring concerts through elementary school and yearly plays and presentations through high school.  And I was in every one.

When I was performing it seemed so incredibly dramatic and what we were doing must have everyone's full attention because, heck, we were doing such a fabulous job of being entertaining.  Right?  Maybe?  Maybe it was entertaining because I was trying so hard in grade one to not touch the boy in grade two who was the shoemaker.  I was the wife in The Elves and the Shoemaker and every night I had to go to sleep on this makeshift bed beside him.  I was practically off the bed in my attempts to not get near him.  Maybe it was entertaining when the two brothers started arguing about whose line it was in Charlotte's Web.  Or when part of the set caught on Katherine's dress during our rendition of The Taming of the Shrew and the fireplace fell down.  Or when the phone got ripped off the wall in Cheaper By The Dozen.  Maybe it was the distress of my having to wear an absolutely awful dress in Our Town and complain about being fat (it sort of went with the theme of my life at that time).

I remember, for the most part, having fun.  We did have fun.  And my mom always worked really hard on costumes for me.  I think of our days of dress rehearsals fondly, most of the time.  And our teacher, Ms. Houston was always so great.  Then I think, I really hope my kids will get the same enjoyment out of it as I did.   I am so proud of Ella.  She did a great job.  I'm pretty sure my parents felt the same about me when they were sitting the audience.

As the mom, now watching my own daughter, it's pretty stinking awesome!  And funny and painful and it takes a fair bit of patience.  To sit and to listen and to silence my other two.  How great though, that I get to be in the audience now.

So, so, so grateful that I get to watch this progression of my daughter through school.  She was a beautiful butterfly yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment