Thursday, May 24, 2012

My bucket list?


These last couple of days there has been a recurring conversation, or rather conversations, around me.  Mostly about things people want to do before they die.  Seems morbid, in a way.  But also kind of hopeful in another.  Having goals to achieve.  Whether they are exciting or not, they mean something to the person putting them out there.  On this train of thought, I'm doing this post a little differently.  It's my list of things that I would like to see happen, or hope they will happen, in my lifetime.  I haven't written all of them down, because there are things that are still very personal.  A bucket list, as they are being called these days.

I want to be a grandma.  Seems pretty far off right now, but it's there.  If my children wish to have children, I want to be around to enjoy them.

I would really like to go to Scotland.  My great grandfather, James Lindsay Ewing was born in Sterling Castle in Scotland.  I want to go there.

I want to take my family to China.   Jim was born there and I would really like my kids to see where their dad, aunts, uncles, and grandparents came from.  I also really want to see the Great Wall.

I want to see my kids graduate.  Not for me, but for themselves.  To see them realize that they can do anything they put their minds to.

I want my kids to realize failure.  They will learn that they can fail and then pick themselves up and carry on.

I want to know that I taught my kids what it means to make choices and how to make them for themselves.  Good, bad, or ugly.

I would love to do a road trip across Canada with my family.  Chows on an adventure.

It's not a very long list or even all that interesting as I sit here and re-read it, but these are things that I think about when someone asks, “what would you wish for?”

Going deeper, I hope to show my kids what it means to have faith, to believe in a God who is bigger than they are.  To be moral, upright people who want to be of service to others.  I want for them to be content in all they say and do.  Even in the not so great times, to be content.  Happiness is great, but I think contentment can bring greater joy that is more lasting.  And on that note, I am so grateful and content with all that I have.  If something else comes along, then that's a bonus.


1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful post, I really like the last part :) I think your bucket list is plenty interesting too.

    ReplyDelete