Thursday, March 8, 2012

A happy birthday love story . . .


So given that it is my husband's 50th birthday today, I thought I might share the beginnings of our love story.

1997.  A good year.  I started a permanent job with the library system.  It was August and we were wearing sweaters because the heating and cooling systems never worked properly.  Morbidly hot in the winter and sub-zero in the summer.  Anyway, there was some laughing and joking going on between myself and a couple of coworkers.  We had started offering free internet services (sans filters and rules) in the library.  So we often had interesting customers looking up even more interesting things.

In walks Jim.  Heart does this little pitter-pat.  Palms get kinda sweaty.   He wants a library card, his nieces and nephews have internet, they want to send him email, and how does it work.   I can most certainly help you with that.  Right over here, I'm going to need some ID.  I start entering his info, and then STINK!  He's fourteen years older than me.  But he's soooo cute.  And his smile.  Yep, I'm smitten.

A few cups of coffee over the years and a lunch or two and we're pretty good friends.  And that was it, because I couldn't entertain the idea that I would be taking someone to meet my parents and having him be closer in age to them than to me.  What would they think.  My dad especially.  If my dad didn't approve it'd be over before it started.  So we were friends.  I dated some, but my heart still kept going back to Jim.

2002.  A really good year.   I applied for and finally got the full time job I had been working towards for six years.  It meant leaving though.  Leaving a place that had become like a second home to me.   My friends I worked with, my customers were like extended family, and Jim.   I found out in August that I'd be starting in September at the new location.  Every day I went in hoping he'd come in before my last day so I could tell him I'd be leaving.  Each day that he didn't show up was little more heartbreaking.   I had decided that it must not be meant to be and had resigned myself to not seeing him ever again.   I could have phoned him, but I didn't want to be stalker-ish, so I left it.

On my very last day, in the late afternoon, he came in.   And cue angels singing.  Our conversation went something along the lines of him declaring that he couldn't see himself going along and not ever seeing me again.  And could he come and see me at the other location.  And could he have my phone number.  And could he take me out to dinner sometime, like a real date.  Yes, yes and yes!   Thank you Harry Potter.

I would recommend books and we'd each read them and then talk about them.   Harry Potter was a favourite and our first date was to the second Harry Potter movie.  That's why Harry gets a nod.

Around mid November we made plans to go to my parents.  The big introduction.  He's never really said whether or not he was nervous, but if he was half as nervous as me, then I'd say he was pretty nervous.   My parents loved him right away, and still do.  That was a major stepping stone.  And my grandparents loved him too.  All right then, we were good to go.   Except, now I had to meet all of his family.  He's the youngest of seven in a Chinese family.  His mom didn't speak any English and I was worried.  Culturally, was I going to be accepted?  Would I fit in?  All these questions and more filled my head, and to top it all off, the big meet and greet was going to be over Christmas dinner at his brother's house.  No pressure right.

It went really well.  His family was so gracious and accepting of me.  By January 2003 he was telling me he loved me and that I was the one.  But, and it was a big one, he needed to date me for at least a year before he would marry me.   I knew that he was it for me too.  I could do a year.  It was a long year.

By January 2004 the rings were on order and our date was set.  Best decision I ever made.  July 17, 2004 we said our “I do's.”

I used to think 50 was sooo old.  Now I just smile.  It's great.  He was the best person for me and he's the greatest dad to our kids.   I am well and truly blessed.  So, Happy 50th honey!  Here's looking forward to another great year.


3 comments: