Saturday, October 27, 2012

Magic Mittens Part Two

We are well into October.  It seemed fitting with the cooler weather to pull out the gloves, mittens, toques, and scarves.  There have been a few frosty, chilly mornings that have warranted a pair of mitts, at least.

As I pulled out my pink ones (my magic ones), it got me thinking.  At the end of September, we had our Terry Fox Walk and raised “Twonies for Terry” for the Terry Fox Foundation, and the Weekend to End Breast Cancer.   October brings us Breast Cancer Awareness and pink mittens.  You know the ones.  And, yes, I have written about them before.

Mine have definitely seen better days.  Some the yarn has escaped the finger creases and needs to be retied.  Some of the threads on the inside are coming loose and I need to restitch them.  All that said, they are still the warmest pair of mittens I own.

More than any of that, though, they make me think of her.  My dear friend.  A true heroine.  It's been a year since her diagnosis.  She has fought through surgery.  Drugs that have caused permanent damages to her nerves.  Radiation that had her suffering through excruciating pain from the burns.  She has more surgery to come.  More battle scars to wear – proudly.  She is so courageous.  My friend, sister of my heart.

On these anniversaries of Terry Fox, Weekend to End Breast Cancer, and her diagnosis, I put my magic mittens on and I think of her.  Dukes up and kick butt attitude and I smile.  How lucky am I that she is my friend.

So I do my best to be friend to her and support her in any way I can and hope that someday, the only time we see “cancer” is when we read about it in the history books.

I can buy “magic mittens” and send “Twonies for Terry” to school with my kids.  I can wear “Livestrong” bracelets and make donations and participate in the BC Generations Project.  On my own, none of these things will even be a drop in the bucket.  Together, with others, passionate and dedicated people, can we make a difference.

For now, I do my small part and proclaim loudly – she is my friend.  She is amazing.  She is a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, a fighter and a hero.  And I am so grateful she is a part of my life.


I am including the link for my first Magic Mittens post in case you feel like reading it again. 
 http://ramblingsfrommywalk.blogspot.ca/2012/02/my-magic-mittens.html

No comments:

Post a Comment