Sunday, July 15, 2012

I am standing in the ocean . . .


So there I was.  Standing in the ocean.  Looking out and all I could see was ocean and sky.  I could feel the water rushing around my legs and I could hear the pounding waves.  I inhaled and sighed.  Salt water smell – there is nothing like it.  The sun was shining and warm breezes were blowing across the beach.  I felt quite insignificant.  A speck on the horizon.  If you squint really, really hard you might see me from the beach wall (I was having trouble seeing where I had parked the umbrella).

Yep, a dot.  A grain of sand.  Then my thoughts led me down another path.  In order for there to be a beach there needs to be a whole lot of sand.  Each grain is important.  Individually, a grain.  Side by side by side by side, and on – a beach.  A place of bliss and contemplation.  Joy.  Excitement.  Adventure.  Discovery.

I stood in the water in awe of this gift we have been given.  Caretakers of earth and each other.  Each one of us alone, perhaps not so significant.  Together, a force to be reckoned with.  That I can stand in an ocean and look at the horizon and know that in God's eyes, in my husband's eyes, in my children's eyes, I am important and significant.  In the whole scheme of things, a grain.  In my family, the glue.  This isn't me trying to make myself more important than I think I am.  However, I do know, in my family, I am the glue.  I am the packer of the suitcases and shoes and jackets.  I am the orderer of the meals in restaurants.  I am the kisser of the boo-boos.  I am the lunch maker and laundry washer.   I think my family could manage without me, but there would be a lot of adjusting that would have to be done to get things working the way they do now.

Sometimes, as women, as moms, we discredit ourselves and our worth.  How sad that when asked what we do, we respond with, I'm just a stay at home mom?   Or I do this and that and I'm a mom.  I am trying, just for myself, to respond – I am a mom!  I am doing the most important job right now.  I am growing my kids well.  They will be the next generation of the beach.  My little grains of sand that are worth more than all the gold in the world.  Each with their own gifts that they will take with them and share with others. 

I am standing in the ocean and I am grateful.  Grateful that my feet carried me.  Grateful that I am part of something so vitally important.  Grateful to be blessed so fully.  I am standing in the ocean.



No comments:

Post a Comment