Monday, July 16, 2012

Celebrating - eight years . . .


July 17, 2004.  My anniversary.  Our anniversary.  Jim's and mine.  Eight years.  Doesn't seem like that many, and yet it kind of seems like it's been forever and still not long enough.  So how did we end up together?  What made me choose him?

Back in 1997 we met for the first time.  I made him a library card.  I was 21 and he was 35.  I really thought he was super cute and friendly.  He spoke really well of his family and had been talking about flying with his niece to Fort Lauderdale.  He talked about taking care of his mom.  I was crushing pretty good on him.  However, in the back of my mind, I kept thinking, “never going to happen.  He's to old for me and my family will not likely approve.”  So I put what I thought were foolish feelings aside and we developed a friendship of sorts.

It went along with us meeting up for an occasional cup of coffee or lunch together.  Visiting, laughing, enjoying each others company and then going our separate ways.  I would recommend books for him to read and it gave us more to talk about.

In 2002 I transferred to another location.  I had a couple of weeks left in Walnut Grove and was hopeful he'd come in.  By my last week I'd given up hope of seeing him.  We hadn't exchanged numbers (I could have easily gotten his, but didn't want to go all stalker-ish) so I had no way or reason to contact him.  I figured, if he'd wanted me to call he'd have given me his number.  It's a girl thing.

Little did I know, my supervisor had seen him and told him that I was leaving.  He came in on my last day, late in the afternoon.  Nothing like leaving something down to the wire (that should have been a sign of things to come).  When I saw him, it was as though my heart was about to leap form my chest.  He came, he came, he came.  Ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, went my heart.  His words, “I don't think I can keep coming here and not ever see you again.”  S-A-Y W-H-A-T???  Okay, ummm, yeah!  There was a fair bit of thought gathering going on.  He wanted to stay in touch with me.  Then it was, “maybe we can go on date sometime or something?”  Or something!  Yipeee!  And then, “Oh crap.  I have to tell my dad.”

I shouldn't have worried.  My dad, my mom, my grandparents, they all loved him.  By December 2002 we had each met the families.  And he was telling me he loved me.  Well, whaddya know.  I loved him right back.  Still do.

I loved how he took care of his mom.  I loved that he had great relationships with his siblings.  His friends were great people.  His nieces and nephews adored him.  I watched him develop relationships with my family and my heart smiled.  He was willing to come to with me to worship services any and every Sunday that he didn't have to work.  He promised me he would continue to do this with me and with any kids we might be blessed with.  That was the clincher.  I knew I could easily spend the rest of my life with this man.

We exchanged our vows on July 17, 2004 in front our closest family and friends.  I would do it all over again.  My grandpa officiated and I will never forget how special that memory is to me.  I will also never forget how crazy hot it was.  About 42 degrees.  Whose dumb idea was it anyway to get married on the hottest day of the year in the Fraser Canyon?  His poor mom (she looked beautiful) was wearing polyester.   My dear friend Lisa was 12 weeks pregnant and my sister was three weeks postpartum.  Our friends and families were all half-cooked by the time it was all said and done, but I have to say, next to the births of my children, BEST DAY EVER!   And yeah, the wedding, it's just a day.  The marriage, we're working on our lifetime.  And it just keeps getting better.

I am so grateful that he chose me.  Grateful that I was given the opportunity to choose him.  Grateful that we get to share this journey together.  Walking together, side by side, holding hands, forever (and no, forever, is not long enough).


1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Wow, I have never heard this story, so I'm glad you shared it so willingly! I love your story. <3

    ReplyDelete